So, we all jumped on a coach and slowly, but surely, rolled up to the streets of Derby where the "International Photography Festival - PHOTOCINEMA" was being held.
I am terrible at life when hungry, and also terrible at map-reading full-stop (there were different exhibitions dotted about Derby that you ahd to find yourself) so James, Emma&I had a quick Nando's lunch and then trotted off to the first show.
I viewed some awesome work that day, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I'm going to talk about a certain photographer who's work was on show in "The Quad" building. I've been quite the biggest fan for a number of years now, and was very excited to enter the room and spot hsi photographs hanging before me!
Gregory Crewdson's work tends to amaze me, full stop. I love to use alot of 'space' in my own work and he is a very big fan of it too, I think he is where I have subconciously got it from, and I thank him for it if that is the case!
The first image I have posted is my favourite. The village looks disserted, and the model looks completely possesed eventhough you can't see her fae properly. The way the light is coming through the middle of those houses, just shining on her, is amazingly beautiful but also gives me a shiver down my spine. It's almost like she can see something that we cannot, something at the opposite end of the road that she is staring down. I desperately want to know what it is....if anythnig at all!
On the second image, the contrast in colour between the sky, the buildings and the snow on the ground gripped me straight away. I love the way the lamp post's bulb is not on, but there is light coming from somwhere else further back in the photograph.
On the third image, again Crewdson has mastered the art of 'space'. i love how the black car is randomly 'parked' in the middle of the puddle filled carpark and there are two yellow cars either side of it. the black car looks as if someone has abandonned it, like they saw something amazing and had to stop the car and get out to have a better look. The yellow cars are parked properly. I love the way the girl is just stood, again looking lost and staring at something/someone that we cannot see. There is so much wonder, and so many unanswered questions to these photographs, I love it, this way I can make up my own mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment