







David LaChapelle is most properly the sole reason why I am so passionate about photography. He is my absolute favourite of all time. He is so amazingly, fantastically, unbelievably over the top and talented. He completely challenged the stereotypes of portrait and fashion photography and raised the level of photography so much higher (in my opinion anyway).
His photographs are always so jam-packed with colour, glamour, celebrity, amazing ideas and sets.
The first five photographs are taken from his most recent work entitled "Jesus Is My Homeboy". I think these are brilliant, but then I think everything LaChapelle does is always brilliant! I love how he has used something so ancient, and turned it into modern day. I also admire how he has challenged authority, and taken a subject that has always been so serious and important to alot of people, and transformed it into a highly humorous editorial, without it becoming offensive.
I don't understand alot of the meanings/messages behind the majority of LaChapelle's work, but this is what I have always loved about it, as I find myself sat looking at his images for hours on end, coming up with different stories of what he could have possibly been thinking when the photograph was taken.
I love this next image because of how clever it is, and, as a hater of tangerine-skin-coloured girls (aka too much time on the sunbed, too much fake tan), how much I can relate to it and laugh. I love love love how at first glance the model looks black, because of (the majority of) her skin tone and afro hairstyle, but when you look closer she is actually caucasian. I think it is really clever that her afro is blonde, another thing I only really noticed when I realized the model was of white skin tone.
No comments:
Post a Comment