Monday, 11 May 2009

Tim Walker



Tim Walker is another favourite photographer of mine. This editorial is my favourite of Walker's work. He is very 'fairytale-esque' which is what I love about his work. The male model, here, is dressed up as a toy soldier, and i think the way he is sat - very straight and stiff, propped up against the wall, is a very clever way of making a human look like a doll/toy. His white face with heavily blushed cheeks and slicked back black hair and mustache is also very well executed, plus his blank expression staring straight on. I love how there are other 'toys' on the floor aka dominoes, but they are a larger-than-life size to make the models look smaller and doll-size.

Its lovely how her polka-dot tights match the white spots on the dominoes, and another thing that makes the models look so small is the set surrounding them; the high up skirting board, the massive door and I love the way the light is shining through the door, almost like they are living in a child's dollhouse and the front of it has been left slightly open by a little girl who was mid-play and got shouted downstairs for dinner by her mother.

I like the way he looks as if he has no life, like he is made out of plastic, and she looks very doll-like but still has some 'life' in her? I think this is made more apparent by the way he is staring over to the right and she is looking straight into the camera. Her pose is also not one you would see a toy doing, her leg wouldn't be able to stay like that (obviously, as a doll no muscles), and I like the way that plants the idea of 'dolls coming to life when people aren't around'.

No comments:

Post a Comment